Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Palin's Governing Style

I'm sure you've seen this article from the NYTimes already, but I figured I'd post it just in case.
There's not much I can add except to say that this report only further convinces me that she is not, as Brooks says today, "...the ultimate small-town renegade rising from the frontier to do battle with the corrupt establishment." Rather, in fact, she is a vindictive opportunist (but what politician isn't an opportunist?) who sacrificed friendships and alliances with people in the pursuit of power.

The themes of secrecy (can personal emails be subpoenaed?), loyalty ( the you're-either -with -us -or -against -us mentality), and blurring the lines of personal/public use of power (Troopergate, librarian story) all serve to remind me of the Bush administration. They took secrecy, loyalty, and abuse of power to a new level and I, for one, am not inclined to give a person with similar tendencies the reins of power anytime soon.