Tuesday, August 18, 2009

And We're Back

After a several month hiatus from posting and commenting throughout last year's presidential election, we are back online. During the time away, I have transitioned from working in the financial services industry back to teaching, moved twice, and now live in Connecticut. But Meta-Ninja has never been far from my mind and I am excited to once again take up the keyboard and begin the process of meaning-making (anyone out there speak education-ese?) in my world.

So here's a quick update on what I've been reading and thinking about over the past 9 months or so. I will be returning to these ideas/concepts/throughlines as we move forward on this page.

Religion:
I'm always looking for a good book that deals with the connections between humanity and the divine. Here are three I've tackled in the last few months that fall in that category:
1. The Evolution of God, by Robert Wright
2. Misquoting Jesus, by Bart Erdman
3. The Great Transformation, by Karen Armstrong

History:
I've been stuck in the early modern era of European history, particularly the era of founding of the Royal Society. Great stuff.
1. Newton and the Counterfeiter, by Thomas Levenson
2. The Courtier and the Heretic, by Matthew Stewart

Food/Food Systems/Health:
We had been members of a local CSA in Massachusetts for several years and were sad to move away from the fresh produce and connection to the land that we had enjoyed for so long. We were fortunate, however, to find a local CSA here in Connecticut that was offering new mid-season shares! We are now members of the Stone Gardens Farm in Shelton, CT.
1. The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
2. Clean House, Clean Planet, by Karen Logan

More on all of these later.