Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Resurrection Garden

The small, brownie looking blocks on the table are actually made from peet moss, compost, green sand, and water.
We were once gardeners. What seems like many years ago. Now, after lying dormant for season upon season, our inner gardener has arisen and, with it, the desire to grow beautiful things. 

Having just moved to a new home with a sizable backyard, we now have the opportunity to start a new garden. Several trips to the local nursery later, we are ready to roll. This afternoon, I broke out my old soil block set to sow some seeds for our fall vegetable and herb garden. I first read about soil blocks from Eliot Coleman, and eagerly ordered them through Johnny's Seeds. They are a wonderful way to start seeds without plastic or peet pots. They come in several sizes, and you can actually transplant a soil block seedling to a larger soil block in a very clever, "nesting" sort of way. 

Anyway, given that it's already mid-July, we have sown the beginnings of a fall garden: red leaf lettuce, spinach, a mesclun mix, micro greens, arugula, mizuna, and bush beans. I caved and bought a surprisingly healthy looking tomato plant that I will repot later today with oregano, parsley, and basil. We have derived great inspiration and advice from a fabulous book called The Bountiful Container, by Rose Marie Nichols McGee and Maggie Stuckey. They have excellent ideas on how to grow herbs, vegetables, and fruit in containers.